Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was a great one this year!  Matt is currently working graves so he didn't make me breakfast in bed.  I was really wanting some of his yummy crepes, he makes them better than me.  The girls didn't have Matt awake to pep them up about it being Mother's day, so they didn't say anything.  I tried to sleep in, but my body was already awake, so I peeled my body out of bed and lounged on the couch.  The girls were downstairs watching a movie.  As I was lounging I was thinking you know the girls need to really know what Mother's day is all about.
I called Madisynn upstairs and asked her if she knew what day it was.  She didn't know, so I told her.  I explained to her how special Mom's are, and that it's nice to have a day where we can do extra special nice things for them to show them that they are loved.  Then I asked her what nice things she could do to make me feel loved.  She said "bring you treats".  I replied that would be sweet!  Then I asked "Oh how about breakfast in bed?"  I really wanted it, so I said 'Why don't you go in the kitchen and make me something yummy for breakfast!" Madisynn's eyes opened wide and she ran into the kitchen with a huge smile on her face.  So I lay on the couch wondering what she would do.  She rustled through the kitchen for a minute then came running back into the living room with a cake mix box gave it to me, than ran back into the kitchen came running back out with a can of frosting, ran back in got my big cup and filled it full of water, came running back out to me and handed me my cup, and said it was punch.  She was pretty pleased with herself!  I laughed and gave her a big hug and kiss and said Thank you that is wonderful, I love you, and I'm glad you're my daughter!  Then I pretended to eat the cake, and frosting, and then drank my water.
I did the same thing with McKenzie.  I called her up and asked her what day it was today?  She wasn't sure, so I told her.  I explained the same way I did with Maddie about what Mother's day was about.  I asked her how she was going to honor me.  She said" clean the house."  I said "well we did that yesterday.  What else can you do?"  She says " do the dishes!"  I say "that would be wonderful!"  Then I hinted towards breakfast in bed.  I said "go ahead and make me something yummy!"  I was expecting cold cereal, but McKenzie made me oatmeal, and not the packet ones the old fashioned oats that I like to eat.  It took her 30 min. to do it, but by golly she made it, and did a pretty good job of it!  I was a little worried though through the whole process, and was thinking when I should go intervene.  I pretended to be asleep on the couch when she came into the living room so it would be like a surprise.  She put the oatmeal and my glass of water on the little card table, and went and got her present she had made for me in school.  I woke up and acted all surprised, and gave her a big hug, and said thank you and told her that I was glad she was my daughter as well, and that I loved her.  She was beaming!  The oatmeal was edible not how I like it, but hey considering it was her first time it was awesome.  I thought I tasted a peach in my oatmeal so I asked her if she put peaches in it?  She says "I think I put 1 in there." I laughed and said "well I just ate it!"
The cute little gift she had made for me was a little basket she had made out of paper, and some cute little flowers with her picture on them.  They were laminated and she had written I love my Mom on each of them. It was super cute!  Madisynn wanted in on the action and wanted to give me a gift so she went into the kitchen and found a paper she had painted the day before and gave it to me.
It was a really nice day!  Matt made crepes for lunch, and he gave me a food dehydrator, with a card. The card said " A poem for my Sweetie.  You're fun and you're smart.  You've stolen my heart.  I'm giddy whenever you're near! And please don't get mad, but I just have to add....you look really great from the rear!!!  Then on the back it says Think i'll just sit here and take in the view.  Too cute and funny, He is a sweet man, and made me feel loved and appreciated! We had my Brother and my Mom over for dinner, and had a great time eating, talking, and watching galaxy quest.  I'm so grateful for my Mom, Matt's Mom, and all other Mother's that are in my life.  They are such great examples to me!  I love you all!

3 comments:

Sarita said...

Awwwww so fun! Gabe made me oatmeal and OJ for breakfast. It was awesome.

Beck Family said...

So fun to catch up on your family. I just read your post about how hard it is to be a perfectionist. I would say the thing that helps me the most when I feel like I am struggling is to visit the temple and put me and each of my family members on the prayer roll. I truly feel different and I seem to be more patient and understanding, and when I start running out of patience I just go again. Good luck!

The Reimers Family said...

I think it's so cool how you took a situation that could have been a bummer and steered it into a wonderful day! Good for you, you deserve a good Mother's Day!