Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cookies and Primary...........

Last Wednesday I made sugar cookie dough, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It took me a long time to cut out the sugar cookie dough and bake them. The girls had a lot of fun helping me! I let them cool down and decided that we would frost and decorate them the following day. It was a much better experience decorating with the girls this time. than last Christmas. I frosted the cookies and Matt and the girls decorated them. McKenzie covered the cookies with candy and Madisynn just pretty much ate the candy! We gave her one cookie to decorate and she would decorate it and then eat the candy off of it. It was so cute! I wish I would have taken a picture, but I didn't even think about it. Oh well. Anyways I think they decorated about 50 cookies for our family, a couple of neighbors, my Mom, and my brother. Matt didn't decorate that many, but he made his really artistic. Here is a picture of the ones that I liked the best of the ones he decorated.
I didn't realize what he was doing until he showed me the finished product. I just laughed! he cut up the candy corns for the teeth, and then he put red sprinkles and red food coloring together to put on the teeth. Lovely I know. He had fun which is what I wanted. Here is a picture of the girls with the 2 cookies when I thought to get the camera:

After I took their picture I put a movie on for the girls, and while Matt slept I decorated the remaining 50 cookies for the primary. I wanted them all to be exactly the same so no one would complain. It was just easier to do it that way. I didn't have to be all creative. I was making the cookies for the aftermath of our primary program. Here is the finished product:Don't they look yummy???

So i mentioned that it was our primary program this past Sunday. I was in charge of making clouds with all of the kids names on them. It took forever to type and print them up. At least they got done though. Here is the finished product of the clouds:I thought they turned out cute! Matt made the cloud design for me, good man. So you are probably thinking what is the purpose of the clouds. Well the primary president wrote the program. She wanted to have all of the meaning of the kids names. Purpose of it all is that they are children of God and he knows them by name, and that they are special. She had drawn a huge picture of Jesus with his arms open and a little child running to him. We put the clouds over it. During the program I was in charge of taking the names off when they did there part. I have been really stressed and worried about this program. The kids didn't know the songs, they didn't know there parts, and Saturdays practice was a total joke, and a waste of time. I don't think I slept very well on Saturday night.

Sunday I was really amazed. Our prayers were definitely answered! The kids sang the songs so well, they did awesome on there parts. We did have a few problems with the microphone on the parts where the brothers and sisters of each family came up to do the meaning of their names and that they were born of goodly parents. I was in charge of that part as well. It was very stressful! I was so relieved when the last family sat down. We had some other problems with a few kids, but I won't go into it. I'm just kind of disappointed with what they were doing. Hopefully it won't happen next year.

So I thought the rest of the day would be a breeze in church. No not really. It was so irreverent. Another total joke. It's like this every week. The kids totally walk all over us. K so I have been the primary secretary for 6 months with all the rest of them. We are all new. We should have things figured out, but we don't. The president takes everything on her shoulders. She doesn't delegate very good. She hasn't really involved the other 2 just me. So we watched the old Johnny Lingo movie which lasted like 20 min. I didn't even know what was planned for the rest of the time. The primary president had an awards ceremony for the primary program, and then had a game. It wasn't planned well, was all i can say there. Kids were wandering around, not paying attention, turned in there chairs doing there own things. It was ridiculous! By the end I was telling myself these kids don't deserve the cookies that I made for them. Not one bit. The teachers weren't doing anything to quiet them down. Nothing. I was mad. When the primary president ended the game she went to the mic and said you guys were wonderful and did such a great job! No way... yeah they did great in the program, but not in primary. She then started to say my name and that I had cookies for them. I then just opened my mouth and said no. No I'm not giving the cookies to them. She then says oh i guess Sister Layton doesn't think you were good enough to get the cookies. You know what I really don't care if the buck got passed to me. I'm sick and tired of these kids thinking that they can do whatever they want whenever they want. It's about time someone said no to them. I really don't care if they hate me or don't like me. Things need to change in our primary. I hope they do. It was one of the hardest things for me to say no, but I did it and it felt great. I have dispersed the cookies to other people and family and more to us. It wasn't a waste of time for me to make all of those cookies. It's tradition to do Halloween cookies every year. They were yummy!

4 comments:

The Kotters said...

good for you to say no about the cookies. I think to often the kids know that the leaders will give in even if they are bad! I'm always trying to think of new ways to get the kids reverent. Most of our teachers are the same way, they don't really pay attention to what the kids are doing... Zane is one of the few that tries to keep the peace. I've been really lucky to have great councelors that help me out though and that is a great blessing. Those cookies did look great, wish I could have been there to eat some for you!!

Cami said...

I totally think that you made the right decision. I have been primary president before and I think that someone needs to take control. I would have done the same thing. Good for you!! It is always a relief to have the program done. I somehow always works out in the end!!

Crystal said...

I also agree, why give them cookies to reward them for acting the way they do? Maybe some of them will think twice before they do something.
Those cookies looked so yummy, I love making sugar cookies for the holidays! On a side note did you happen get an invite? I asked my cousin to send one out but I dont know if she did. If you haven't got one let me know

The Reimers Family said...

Way to go! Kids these days just expect things and don't earn them the right way. We just had our primary program and I'm so glad it's over...very stressful!