Friday, September 4, 2009

I'm a crossing guard!

Today I finished my training and shadowing, so now i'm officially a substitute crossing guard!  Last year a friend of mine who is a full time crossing guard said you should get an application to be a crossing guard.  I was all for it!  So I got an application filled it out and submitted it.  No one ever contacted me, so I tried calling more than several times to see if they were hiring.  I finally gave up.  As you can imagine I was very surprised when I got a phone call close to 3 weeks ago asking if I was still interested in doing crossing.  That totally made my day!  So I went in the following week to fill out paper work, and to see if this was really something I wanted to do.  I really want to do it, so they did a background check which was completed this past Monday.  I did my training yesterday 5 hrs. worth, and I get paid for it, so that's worth it!  I was so nervous to do my shadowing today to complete my training.  My Boss Robert likes to put newbies on a busy road to shadow, so they can get a feel for it.  If you can do a busy road, you can do anything!  So I was put right on 3500 South and Centennial road for Lakeridge elementary.  I was nervous starting out, but each time I went out I did even better!  I'm really looking forward to subbing.  You have to startout subbing to become full time and get your own route.  This job has it's perks, you can bring your kids if need be.  Since Matt works graves it works well for me that I don't have to unless I want too!  This weekend the new substitute list comes out.  I really hope I get a lot of calls!

1 comments:

Ande said...

yeah, and what a great uniform!! :) J/K That sounds like a fun job and I am sure that you will do wonderful at it. Something to bring in a little more money at least. That would be nice. I wish they had some of those here at Travis, it is a free for all.