Friday, November 4, 2011

August 11, 2011 Day 2 Kotter Reunion, Donut Falls Part 1

Donut Falls


We started out our day by going on a 3/4 mile hike up to Donut Falls.  Matt wasn't able to make it again because he worked the night before, and was sleeping.  My Sister Kate and her family weren't able to make it.  My Brother Quinn left to go to Hawaii right after Cowabunga Bay.  It was My Mom, my Brother Chris and his family, Me and the girls.  The hike is really easy.  The kids had fun finding big walking sticks, climbing on the rocks, picking flowers, and finding and chasing butterflies.  We made it to the falls in good time, and decided that we would hike up to the donut.  We had to cross the river.  Kenzie had no problem doing that, she is fearless and it scares me!  Maddie was scared so I ended up piggybacking her across.  Now the hard part climbing up the slippery rock to see the Donut.  This hike brought back memories from a camping trip many years ago.   

We had gone on a camping trip to somewhere in the Uinta Mountains.  My Dad saw a glacier and wanted to hike to it.  So he gathered our family together and we set out to hike to this glacier.  The hike started out just fine, and then we came to an area of loose rock.  We had nowhere to go but up.  It was so steep and scary.  We eventually made it to this glacier.  We played in the snow, and had a snowball fight.  Then it was time to go.  We decided to slide down the glacier.  I don't remember if we all did or if it was just my older brother Chris.  Anyways I think he lost control and he crashed and scraped up his legs pretty good.

We made it back to the area of loose rocks and tried to go down it, but they were to loose.  My Dad was trying to find another way down.  We were all freaking out thinking that we were going to have to use signals to somehow get the emergency rescue out to us.  My dad eventually found another way down, it was still steep and scary but I'm happy to say we made it all of the way down and back to our campsite.  So knowing that I was able to do that hike made it so I could do this hike up to the Donut at Donut Falls with no problem.

I was a little scared though, but made it.  Maddie was very scared, Kenzie not scared at all.  She was ready to get to the top.  I pretty much had to push Maddie up the rocks.  We made it to the top, and it was so worth it seeing the Donut close up. Not only did we get to see the Donut from on top, but we got to see it from under as well.  So cool!   We made it down the to the regular trail with nobody getting hurt.  I thought it was going to be me that would because i'm just lucky like that.  Maddie was scared out of her mind going down.  We had to slide on our bums most of the way down.  It was a team effort.  Go team!  Such a great experience, i'm so glad we did it and hiked up to the donut.  Definitely was something to cross off on our bucket lists.  I wish Matt, Quinn, Kate and her family could have made it.  They missed out.

Pictures of our hike:

Sarah, and I:


Chris and Sarah:


Maddie:

Gabe and McKenzie:

Gabe:

 Grandma with Gabe, Madisynn, McKenzie, Trace, and McKell:

At the top looking at the donut:

I thought that we had taken a picture of the donut from on top.  I couldn't find it, so I googled a picture of what it looks like.
The donut:

My Mom took this picture of the donut while we were all on top:
On the way down:

Outside the falls:

Under the falls:

Thanks for reading!  Stay tuned for part 2. =)