Thursday, July 5, 2012

New ward

After we got back from our trip we had a flyer in the huge stack of mail for a neighborhood party for our new ward.  The party was going to be at the Elder's Quorum president's house, in his back yard.  The church was going to provide hot dogs and everyone else was asked to bring your own side to share if you were able too.  When it got dark they were going to play a movie on a projector screen.  The party was on Friday June 22, 2012.

Matt and I kept going back and forth on whether we should go or not go.  We finally decided that we needed to support our new ward and go.  So we went.  We were on time, and hardly any body was there.  We brought a Green Salad to share.  We introduced ourselves to some of those that were there as we put our salad on the table.  Then the opening prayer was said.  We got our food, and went and sat down on the grass.  More people began to show up and sit down.  It was a lot of people from the old 6th ward, they all knew each other. They didn't go out of their way to introduce themselves, and neither did we.  I think we were nervous.  Only 4 families from the old 16th ward came.  Bishop and Lori Tucker, Randy and Debbie Martin, Michelle Lalu and her 2 little boys Miles, and Eli, and our little family.  


Thank goodness I at least knew someone from the old 6th ward.  Karen Crowther who I have worked with on many occasions for crossing guard.  She is awesome!  She is a councilor in the Relief Society Presidency and is very outgoing.  She was sitting by us, and she started to introduce us to some people in the ward.  What started out as not so much fun turned into a lot of fun.  I was having fun talking, Kenzie had made a friend, and was running around with her.  Maddie seemed to be having fun until she came and sat on my lap and acted board.  Their weren't many kids her age there that night.  I told her to find Kenzie and run around with her.  Matt seemed board too.  He is not a social monkey at all.  He just sad by me, and listened.  He talked a little bit.  


Then he nudged me and said that we needed to go because he had to go to work.  We said our goodbyes, got our salad, and left.  As we were leaving the girl Kenzie had been playing with was in the front yard.  She saw us leaving and asked if we were going to come back for the movie.  Kenzie said no, and then the girl asked Kenzie what her name was.  I asked Kenzie if she knew what the girls name was.  She had no idea.  I felt bad that we weren't going to stay for the movie, now that Kenzie had made a new friend.  We had already made our decision and it was too late to change it.  After Matt went to work, I was thinking about this ward.  I kept thinking that Matt was going to have a hard time, just because he doesn't go out of his way to meet other people.  


Sunday June 24, 2012 was Our first Sunday going to Church in our new ward.  Matt was going to wake up and come just for Sacrament meeting but he came home with his back hurting.  We had gotten a new 47 inch flat screen television the day before.  We were moving things around the house.  I asked him to call someone to come and help so he wouldn't hurt his back.  He wouldn't do it.  I think it was a pride issue.  I told him that if he came home hurting that I was going to be mad.  He didn't care.  I should have called someone to come and help.  Next time I will either make him do it, or I will do it.


Anyways so it ended up just being me and the girls who went.  It was different, but good.  It was nice to see the chapel full, and have it be a little bit noisier from more young kids.  All of the teachers were awesome, such good lessons.  It is going to take time to feel comfortable.  In Relief Society the people in the old 6th ward sat in front, and the people from the old 16th ward sat in the back.  Those few that came from the old 15th ward sat together as well.  Kenzie's new friend was Laura Peterson who had just turned 8.  So nice to have a friend in the ward that is the same age.  I really wished that Matt could have come, it's hard too go without your spouse.  I'm glad we went though the girls and I.  It was a good day. 



0 comments: