Friday, May 23, 2008

Looking back to 1980

I thought this was neat. I recieved a birthday card from our insurance company. I had put it with a bunch of papers that needed to be filed, shredded, or thrown away. I forgot about it, and today I came across it. I thought it would be fun to share.

Looking back to 1980
  • U.S. broke diplomatic relations with Iran; attempt to rescue hostages ended in failure
  • President Carter announced U.S. boycott of Summer Olympics in Moscow as a protest against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
  • Mount St. Helens erupted
  • Mariel boat lift brought Cubans to U.S.
  • Operation Abscam led to indictment of public officials
  • Poland's Solidarity labor union founded
  • Former Beatle John Lennon was killed
  • In the "Miracle on Ice," the U.S. hockey team won the gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY
  • Carter ordered U.S. grain embargo of U.S.S. R.

Movies and Music

  • Best Actor & Actress... Robert De Niro & Sissy Spacek
  • Top Movies... Ordinary People (best), The Empire Strikes Back, Urban Cowboy, 9 to 5
  • Top Tunes... Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Woman in Love, The Rose, Starting Over, Please Don't Go, Ride Like the Wind, Call Me

American Living Then and Now

In 1980:

Births (mil.) 3.6

Gas ( 1 gal.) $1.19

1st Class Stamp: $0.15

New Ford: $6,926

Bread(1 lb.) $0.51

Milk(1 gal.) $2.08

In 2008:

Births (mil.) 4.2

Gas ( 1 gal.) $2.99

1st Class Stamp: $0.41

New Ford: $22,075

Bread (1 lb. ) $2.69

Milk (1 gal.) $4.19

Wow what a difference! Can we go back to 1980 so we can PLEASE save some MONEY!!!

3 comments:

Carolann said...

Okay, who's getting gas in 2008 for $2.99. That has to be a typo because it is 3.99 around here! Just talking about gas prices makes me angry!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Fun read Karen.
I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

I'm Always Rite said...

Wow! You just poasted this a couple days ago and the prices of gas and stamps are already out of date. Gas here in TN is 3.79 and stamps just went up to .43. :\ Interesting stuff though. :)