Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sleepwalking

You know I have been a sleep walker for a very long time. I haven't done anything that I know of for awhile. Well last night I slept walk/talked I think 3 times. The first one I remember doing. How do I remember? I don't know. I think that I'm partially awake, but very out of it. I don't know if you have to be fully asleep to call it sleepwalking. Anyways yes so I remember the first one. I sat up in bed very quickly and jumped out of bed and ran to my dresser. I was looking for something for the girls but i wasn't sure what. I remember Matt asking if I was OK. I think I told him to be quiet. Then i went back to trying to find whatever it was I was looking for that I needed so desperately. I finally realized I was out of it, and knew I didn't need to find anything, so I went back to bed. It's all so strange. The other 2 times all I remember is sitting up in bed really fast again. I don't know if I did anything else.
I think sleepwalking happens for me when I'm extremely exhausted. Growing up I shared a room with my sister. She has told me several things that I have done, and don't remember. She said I would ask her dumb questions when she got back from being out late at night. There was one sleepwalking incident that she told me about the next day after it happened. Well first off when I woke up in the morning our room was a total mess, and I was wondering why. So my sister told me. She said that I shot up in bed, jumped out and started ripping clothes out of my dresser. My Sister asks me if I was OK. I told her to shut up, not be quiet, but shut up! Not nice I know. Then she asks me again, and I just start blurting out get the ghost, get the ghost, and then I left the bedroom. My sister didn't follow me, so I have no idea where I went and what I did. It kind of scares me, but it cracks me up that I actually did that! That is the first really big sleep walking experience that I had that we know of.
There would be other times where I had gone to bed early, and my Mom would still be awake and I would walk upstairs and start talking a bunch of nonsense. My Mom would tell me to go back to bed that I was sleepwalking. I would argue with her telling her I wasn't. Then I would snap out of it, and go back to bed. It's so weird!!! I remember when I got my first job at Arctic circle that I would find myself making shakes or ice cream cones in my sleep, or doing the drive thru service. I used to sleepwalk a lot when I worked at the daycare on base. I would always be trying to find a child. I would awake (or thought I was awake) in a panic and run and look for them. It drives me crazy!
Now for the last experience that happened a couple of years ago in California. I don't remember it at all. Matt told me that I sat up in bed grabbed the huge teddy bear off the floor bit it, chewed, spit, and then I said these teddy bears taste nasty! I often think that it would be funny to get a tape recorder and record during the night when we are sleeping to see what happens. Better yet I should set up a video recorder to physically see what goes on. My luck though nothing would happen! So do you all sleep talk, sleepwalk? If you do what funny stories do you have to tell?

3 comments:

Ande said...

O.K., video camerma probably not a good idea, for reasons I don't need to mention, but would be very embarassing if you got it on tape and someone else watched it. I used to swim in my sleep, my brother was the sleep walker, one time he walked into the kitchen and started peeing in the dogs dish and then went back to bed. Poor dog. Funny thing was, his room was right next door to the bathroom.

Jen Sue Wild said...

Karen you poor thing. Kadie sleep walks she has donea few strange and funny things. I think her trigger is needing to go to the bathroom.
Dale sleep talks all the time. he wakes me up alot shouting things out.

Carolann said...

That is so funny. That Teddy bear one is the best. I know I used to sleepwalk when I was little, but haven't done it in years. According to my parents, it was triggered by having to use the bathroom too. I once went into my brothers room and peed on his floor. He was not happy.