Monday, January 7, 2008

Sun beam teachers

last week I recieved a call from the primary president. She started talking about a calling that I never had extended to me. It kind of freaked me out. We had gone to tithing settlement back in November. The bishop wanted to get to know us a little bit better, so he's just asking us all of these questions. Then he starts asking us what kind of callings we had had in our old wards. So Matt and I told him. He asked us about nursury. I told him pretty much no way right now. I love kids, but I wasn't ready to deal with any more of them. He was like well how about sunbeams. I didn't really answer, and neither did matt. We never said yes to it, he never extended it to us, but he still wrote our names down next to the sunbeams. We thought we were safe. The day after the primary president called me, the 2 counselors in the bishopbrick asked us to meet with them after relief society/priesthood. I was like great.... I don't want to do this, I can't do this. I just want to be able to go to relief society. Well we went to meet with them. They apologized to us, they thought the bishop had extended the calling to us. Then they proceed to ask us questions about ourselves again., and then one of them says we just felt really inspired about you guys. Ok wrong thing to say, I'm a sucker and I don't turn down callings. They had 2 primary callings open the 9 yr olds, and the sunbeams. I would rather have the sunbeams because they are like sponges, they suck it all in. They are hard to get control of, but once you do it's cake after that. I can't deal with older kids that don't want to listen and obey. I had the 11 year old girls twice. I loved the girls, but it was so hard to teach them because they are so ready to get out of primary. Well Matt and I are team teachers for the sunbeams. I'm glad to have matt as my team teacher, it will be good for us! We had our first lesson this past sunday, it really went well. It was really fun to teach them. The kids were all good for the most part. There is one boy that will probably give us problems, better one than 6 though. It was also McKenzie's first time in primary. She was so cute, and well behaved during sharing time/singing time. She is not in our class, which I'm very glad of. Our lesson was on I am a Child of God. We made crowns that said I am a Child of God on them. It was really cute to see the different crowns on all the sunbeams. Their are 3 sunbeam classes, and all of us teachers had different ideas. I liked ours the best. Ours was a home made original the other teachers had a primary book that had a crown pictuer on it. Ours were brite pink, green, and blue posterboard crowns that matt drew himself. He did a great job too!!! The kids liked them, so it went well. I should have taken pictures, but slacked on it. I'll have to take a picture of our sunbeam class though... they are all so cute and little. I just have to keep telling myself this will be a fun good experience for us! Wish us luck in the weeks to come=)

3 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

I would love to be the Sunbeam teacher.
I have not been in primary in 7 years:( The last calling I had was the sunbeam teacher.. It has always been my favorite.
I have been begging for nursery and you think they would call me too that but no.. I am still in YW.. I love it Theo..
Been Started sunbeams this week and he loves it!!!. I can hardley Belive Ben is a sunbeam..

Shaina said...

I'm subbing in Sunbeams for the next month. It's a fun calling, but I miss being the chorrister, weird as that sounds. I think I'll request that calling when we move. The primary president will be stunned!

I'm Always Rite said...

I haven't taught Sunbeams in about 10 years, but I remember it being a fun, if not trying at times, calling. I know your presidency must really appreciate your willingness to serve. I was called to the 10 year old class in November and ever since I have been teaching the entire senior primary because they have yet to call teachers for the other classes. I love it! The older kids are so much fun for me. Really I just like having a calling and not feeling complacent at church. :) Can't wait to see what comes next. :) Good luck Matt and Karen!