I dread mealtime so much at my house. It's such a pain, and stresses me out. Madisynn is so dang stubborn. If she doesn't want to eat, she won't swallow. Or if she doesn't really care for something she won't swallow. I have had her sit in her chair in the kitchen for 2 hrs. and she still wouldn't swallow the bite in her mouth. She just lets it drool out her mouth. It's so gross! I've tried bribing her, but it doesn't work. I can't let her run around with it in her mouth either because she drools it out everywhere on the floor. Learned my lesson on that one pretty quick. I'm stubborn too, and I'm not giving in. Last night she wouldn't eat her food, and she wouldn't swallow the bite in her mouth. I finally got a syringe and slowly washed it down. Usually when I do this she spits everything out. She tried to spit, but I covered her mouth and said no! It makes me so mad. so I spent the next 10 min trying to spray it to the back of her throat so she would swallow it. I won! This morning it was the same thing. she ate a little bit, and then she held it in her mouth again. I was able to slowly feed her bites, but near the end it was a battle. I won it though! Lunch was even harder too today. I lost my temper, and I feel so bad. I gave her what she didn't eat for dinner for lunch today. She ate a couple of bites, and then she really fought me. I won that battle too! I don't think it would be a problem if she didn't have such a hard time gaining weight, and being monitored because of it. If she didn't have such a hard time gaining, I wouldn't fight her, and I would send her to bed. She has a Dr's. appointment on Monday. I hope that the Dr. is pleased with her progress, and let's us off the hook. I want to follow through with this. I don't want it hanging over my head if there is something wrong with her. If you have any suggestions on how to get someone to swallow, I would really appreciate it!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
what if you had her pick out the food she wants to eat or what if you have her help or do what she can do by her self. could you just "feed" her drink meals, (boost, instant carnation, ext.) hopefully sometime soon you will win with out your needing to fight.
Aiden is a really poor eater too. I think that I am doing really good if he eats one of the meals each day. So usually for lunch I let him pick between two things that I think are good healthy choices. He gets like 1 minute to decide between them or I pick. It seems to work, but I still don't know how to get him to try new things. Maybe they will grow out of it.
I wish I had some great advice. Just hang in there, hopefully it will get easier or better soon!
I tell my kids that if they plug there noses they won't taste the food. It usually works! I've also made it into a game with reverse psychology; I give them their food and tell them that I don't want them to eat it. Every time they try to I tell them no, they think that they are doing the opposite so they begin to eat. Good Luck!
The Dr. told my sis to get her daughter to eat lots of Yogurt and cheese, stuff that she likes that will help with her fat content too. My niece is a skinny minny. Good luck, Brennan is my picky eater. Hazel will eat pretty much anything, she pigs out on salsa with Tom, she even likes Hot Tamales. Or try those toddler drinks, Brennan was animac, (sp) and those have tons of vitamins and iron to help picky eathers. Again, good luck!!
My advice: If she likes breakfast foods give her those at every meal cater to her, I guess. But then part of me says meal time is over once she stops eating. She will not starve herself to death! Even if it is only breakfast she eats!
Adam's advice: Take it to the Temple. When Billy was little and throwing his fits (I'm sure you remember me talking your ear off about that) Adam prayed about it at the Temple and got answers that we had been needing for a long time. Adam would also like to say his advice is better and mine is wrong.
Both of us say lessen the "control" part or else you will be dealing with food crises for many years to come.
Mommy preach over.
Thank you all for the good advice. I really appreciate it!
Post a Comment