Every time I hear the words Jury Duty I think of the Grinch. The part on the movie where he is in the mail room and he starts throwing out Jury duty summons into the who's mail slots.. Jury duty, Jury duty,Jury duty! Too funny. =) I hope that's not how it's done, sometimes I wonder.
One day back in December I went to get the mail. I opened it up, and saw a familiar envelope. When I realized what it was, I said to myself please don't be for me, please don't be for me. A sigh of relief. It wasn't for me, it was for Matt. It was a Jury duty summons notice. I have only gotten jury duty once in my life, and I was lucky to have an excuse to get out of it. My excuse was that we were in the process of moving. I was immediately dismissed. Matt, the poor guy has gotten jury duty 7 times since high school. He has gotten it 3 times out of the 5 years we have been out of the military. He never has a legitimate excuse to be able to get out of it. Matt has been lucky each time he has called to see if he needed to go in to hear that the court date was cancelled.
This time he wasn't so lucky. When they mailed back all the info it said there were 24 potential jurors and they all had to show up. From there they would choose 12. Everyone was telling Matt that he should be biased, have anger management issues, wear his blues, wear his BDU's like he was getting deployed. This is Matt we are talking about, I so couldn't see him doing any of those things to get out of it. Thinking about him doing it really cracks me up. =)
This was such an inconvenience for everyone. Yes you get paid, but it's only $40 a day, which we make more than. We were not happy about this. Matt had to inform work, so they could be prepared to get people to cover for him. They weren't to thrilled, luckily they can't fire him or do anything else. Matt's supervisor isn't that great to work with, she doesn't like the extra work.
Matt was summoned to show up early this morning. Sunday night he reads the letter again. He forgot that it said to call the Saturday before. So he quickly calls the number to get the hotline. When he came out of the kitchen he breaths a sigh of relief and says I'm glad that I called because it said that the court date was cancelled. It would have been bad if he didn't call and showed up.
We were all thrilled that he did't have to go in. Nice to know that we have Matt's full paycheck, and his schedule back to the way it's supposed to be! Matt's supervisor was very happy that she didn't have to redo the schedule as well. I don't blame her, what a pain in the butt! Matt is still not off the hook though, he can still be summoned for one more month. Hopefully nothing comes up. We will be praying, and keeping our fingers crossed. Question for all of you. Have you ever been summoned for jury duty, if so how many times, and did you have to go in, or did it get canceled? Thanks for reading ya'll!
Monday, February 6, 2012
Jury Duty
Posted by
Karen
at
11:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Jacob got sumond(sp) for Jury Duty not to long after we were married and he had to go to court.
Post a Comment